
Amongst the hub-bub of getting moved, Grandpa's health began to deteriorate. We had the opportunity to see him one last time hours before his passing on March 7th. It was bitter-sweet. We knew he wouldn't be with us much longer and we knew he wouldn't be in pain anymore. We were touched as we took our little family to see him and Grandpa's eyes brightened as he smiled and said "There's my Keifer!"
He really is Grandpa's Keifer. Of course, Keifer is his nickname, but Grandpa is the one who put in the request for Keith Birch Caldwell, IV. Of course when that little boy was born, there was no mistake that was who he was. We always laugh how that little boy resembles his Great-Grandpa so much, especially his furrowed brow when he's looking at people. We love them both so much more for that.
I will really miss Grandpa as he was just as much my grandpa as my own. I knew "Grandpa Lila" better and longer than my own. It was wonderful to join Keith's family and gain such wonderful grandparents. Its what I always imagined it would be like if all of mine had still been living.
Grandpa was truly a friend and a patriarch. I loved visiting with him and getting to know him. I think I will miss him the most when I think of things I would like to know about him-and he's not there to ask anymore. He loved the kids, especially Keifer. I am grateful to have such a man for my children to have as an example-and name-sake. He influenced our lives greatly-if you couldn't tell by Keifer.
4 comments:
your post just made me cry! He was such an amazing man, he will be missed by so many!
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. How's things in your new place? When's that house-warming going to be? Miss you in the ward already :(
I loved your post.... nothing more than "fantastic."
Thank you for the sweet tribute.
Post a Comment