Sunday, March 15, 2009

Project

My parents are getting a new bedroom set and were getting rid of their old one, lucky for me, I got first dibs on. I was so excited. We have never had real dressers-I was waiting until I found the "perfect one" and had the money to get it, too. Well, the perfect one happens to be this one, with a little work and minimal cost, it looks completely different and I'm tickled pink to have it (I have to be tickled pink since there is a shortage at this house).
I didn't think to take before pictures, but here is a mid-way through picture. I sanded, and sanded and then stained it with an antique walnut stain and finish in one. (FYI-I've NEVER done anything like this before.)

The dressers began a very light, almost yellow color. This is after the first coat. I didn't think it looked very walnut, but figured it was because the wood was very light. I was a little disappointed, but talked myself into loving the new color. Keith's mom was wonderful and offered her assistance earlier in the week and she came on Friday to help me do the 2nd coat and finish things up. I'm so glad she came. She began helping and asked if I had stirred the can. I was busy running around with the kids and hadn't, so she stirred. Apparently I didn't stir very well the on the first coat, because here is what the finished product looked like--what they should've looked like the first time...

Thank you, Nena for helping me get it right! This is far more what I had imagined. At least I can say I learned some things. *I need to sand better before applying anything. *Don't wipe sanded wood with a wet rag. *And finally, STIR the can really well. I'm happy to have the project finished so I can attend to the things that got neglected and get back to normal life. I LOVE MY NEW DRESSERS!

No comments: