Sunday, March 15, 2009

Almost Forgot...


This morning Keith and I were talking about when we took the boys to the Draper Temple open house last month. I totally forgot to blog about it, so I'm slipping this in late to have a record of it.
When the talk of the open house began I had a feeling that we needed to take the boys. I'm not sure what will result from that experience, but I know we needed to go. I have wondered about my own experience at a very young age of going to the Jordon River open house with my family and Grandma who had been called to work in the temple at that time. I don't remember much, but I do remember always having a desire to go myself, and I believe that experience helped instill that desire. Maybe that is what my boys needed.
Of course the spiritual aspect is what you think about and you hope for these moving experiences for your children as you attend...we may never see that, but it was a fun experience, here are some highlights.
1. They were SO excited to go to the temple, they took a picture of the Vernal Temple I had in another part of the house and put it in their room.
2. When you ask the boys what their favorite part of the temple was--they say it was the bus ride from the chapel to the temple. One of the boys mentioned they really liked the chandeliers.
3. Prior to our visit, we had some family home evenings about the temple, what to expect, and what the temples are about. They saw a picture of the baptismal font and were curious about the oxen and asked a lot of questions-which Keith answered and explained the difference between a cow, ox, steer, bull...etc. (glad it was him, I didn't know the difference).
We are in the Draper temple and Matt is standing looking at the baptismal font and seemed to be deep in thought. I kneel down to have a "moment" with my son and talk about baptisms. Then I asked him if he had any questions, to which he asks "What animals are those again?" I told him they were Oxen, and reminded him that there were 12 that represented the 12 tribes of Israel. Then he asked "Are those the ones with their balls cut off?" I told him I didn't remember, he'd have to check with his dad. That will definitely be one of my most memorable temple visits. I sure love having boys.

No comments: