Monday, January 25, 2010

Could I Ever Tell A Lie?




Apparently, YES! Matt came home from school the other day perfectly happy, which is unusual lately. The weather aggravates his asthma and, so we don't see a real happy boy at home until he's feeling better. We were enjoying the happy Matt day when around dinner time Josh tells me that Matt had to pull a red card at school.

A red card? What did you do? The cards start out yellow-which is a warning, then red-you miss a recess, brown and then black-luckily we've never made it that far.

The story goes: He fell asleep on the rug and the teacher woke him up and had him skip the yellow card and go straight to the red card. He missed a recess, but he really liked staying inside, because that was more fun.

At first I laughed really hard. I also had a discussion with Matt about falling asleep just to get out of recess. I laughed when he told me the story, but I assured him it wouldn't be funny if he kept doing it. The next day he stayed at home sick, so I thought maybe something was really wrong the day before. I was concerned that he fell asleep (I'd been really good about getting the kids to bed on time that week). The more I thought about it I wondered why the teacher made him pull a card for falling asleep? He's a kindergartner, give him a break. I was going to talk with the teacher at the upcoming parent-teacher conference.

A couple days later I'm on the phone discussing the issue with my sister-in-law and noticed him listening to me tell her I was going to talk with his teacher. Well, a little while later he informs me IT WAS A LIE!!!!

Not that I'm surprised he lied to me, but I'm surprised by the lengths he took to lie to me. He's only 5, what am I going to do? Pray that we will get through this, I guess. He's such a sweet and funny boy-what would we do without him?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

As I'm reading your post I'm thinking "What kind of a teacher makes a kid pull a card at all (much less skip yellow and go straight to red) for falling asleep?". I forgot about the post title. Yeah, Carter lied to me once last year about why he pulled a card. The truth of the matter is I figure if they pull a card maybe they learn a lesson about consequences at an early age.