Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ganglion Cysts and Pinworms?


I took Josh and Matt to the doctor yesterday and received interesting news. Josh has a Ganglion Cyst on his wrist that has probably developed from writing in school and playing the computer. You can click on the link above (hopefully it will work) for more information about that. The good thing is that it could burst on its own and it doesn't have major health risks associated with it. However, finding out that surgery is probably the solution was quite the blow for our little 6 year old. He was brave enough to ask the doctor all the questions he had, and the doctor was kind enough to answer and give him a hug. One major concern was "How will they put my skin back?" The doctor explained that they will only make an incision and then stitch it up. Matt told Josh that stitches don't hurt, and he didn't even cry when he got them. Josh was also comforted to know that he would have painkillers in case he had pain afterward. The doctor also told Josh, in a kind and joking voice, that his problems weren't nearly as bad as his brother's. 

We were also able to talk to the doctor about Matt. I hadn't seen the doctor since we found out the results of the Cystic Fibrosis test were negative. We've been monitoring his bum problem with little success. I'm finding out how often his bum really pops out--Matt has been good to share that information with me. The doctor said this is a problem that is usually discovered much earlier. I explained that he's been potty trained since he was 2 and only wants my help for wiping. The doctor was a bit surprised at Matt's independence and I told him the only reason I think I found the problem in the first place was because Joe had hit him in the head with a ball as he was ready for me to take care of the wiping--as a result he was crying and not in control. I'm glad we found the problem at all, since poor little Matt had no idea it was a problem. 

Now we proceed by increasing the Miralax he takes and to soften up his diet. We also get to watch for Pinworms that could be causing the problem. If the problem persists, we will need to do surgery to have things "tucked up" to keep them from popping, or should I say, pooping out. 

On a good note--Matt continues to breathe fairly well. We have him on a regimen that greatly reduces the number of breathing treatments we have to give him, as well as the benefit of a happier little boy. And we sure enjoy that happy little Matt! His little giggle can get out of control sometimes, but its so fun that it is hard to tell him to settle down. 

We are so grateful for our little boys and our hearts break for them as they face some of the issues they do at these young ages. Each challenge Josh faces helps him be a little more brave and prepares him for the future.  Oh, and little Matt is about as tough as they come. It proves to be a blessing as he faces everything that comes his way and we watch him plug through with that inner and outer strength he has. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can tell Josh that I had a ganglion cyst. My developed because of an accident I had when I was roller skating. The Dr. popped it once but it came back. Later I had surgery. If he would like, I'll show him my scar. I was glad to have it gone because it was very uncomfortable when I tried to keyboard or write fast (I was in a shorthand class at the time).

-Rachel said...

Love your blog Peggy. I got the address from Ang. She's excited that you guys are pregnant at the same time, congratulations! Hope your boys get feeling better!

AZ Allreds said...

Hey Peggy,
Josh and I have been meaning to write on your blog for a while. Glad to hear that your boys are doing good -- kids give such heart attacks when they have to go through so much at a young age. Congrats on the upcoming fourth! We can see that you have a handsome bunch. Hope all continues to go well.